Wednesday, February 17, 2016

How Silently the Ship Sailed By

With its sails long unfurled, deck drifting side to side, and naught a sound to be heard; the ship waited impatiently for the wind to come. Long it had waited, ready to begin its journey; only to be constantly pulled back by those on shore who were sorry to see it leave.

Where it goes, they cannot follow; and so they hold on to its tethers; beseeching it to stay another week, day, moment.

Before is a long and exciting future of unknown consequence. Behind, the same drab familiarity that no longer beckons for any attention. 

In the night, when its captor's awareness waned, the wind at last arrived. It caught the sails, pulling them taunt off the masts, pillowing them against the fore, and silently, pulling the ship away; free at last.

Unbeknownst to those on shore, the true journey had begun.

---

So many things catch me unaware these days. When did my parents age so much? Where was the line that once past, defined me as an adult? What happened to the financial safety buffer I once built? How did I ever manage to deserve such a wonderful girlfriend? I really don't seem to know what I'm doing; but am instead just lashing out in as many directions are I can, with determination and dedication, hoping for a breakthrough somewhere. There must be a better way.

---

We lost Mimi this weekend. She was such a fighter, and her spirit never wavered. It was her body that failed her, and she tried so hard to hold on. I miss you little one, but I am ever so proud of everything you've given to me, to us, to the world. Goodnight, and I'll see you when I also embark on the journey to the lands unknown. Catch a rabbit for me.